Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Great Man

Mom met a great man that came in and took care of all of us. He was a welder and we traveled everywhere with him. His hobby, besides his passion for his work, was showing horses at competitions. He was successful with a blue ribbon with one horse. He had been married previously and had two boys and a girl. They were all older than my brother.

Our Dad loved us like we were his own. He worked hard and there were times when he was off on a job without us. When we could, we were there with him though. A previous post details all of our travels. My Dad started his own business and had a place in Farmersville, TX where he built metal beds for trucks. When I was old enough I had the privilege of working with him. He taught me how to be helpful and to take pride in my work. He always instilled in us the importance of giving 110% to anything we did but especially our job.

My Dad grew up with a sister and a brother who were both older than he was. The sister was the oldest. Dad joined the US Army when he was young and served during the Korean war.

Dad's sister, I knew her as Aunt Noni, lived with their Mom, my Granny, in East Tawakoni not too far from where we lived. I would mow their yard in the summer. My Dad's brother, I knew him as Uncle Buddy, and his wife Frankie, also lived in East Tawakoni. They had a lake house with a boat house and pier. We would go to his house and fish, ride his boat, have cookouts, and play games.

This post is about our real Dad. The one that stuck with us through thick and thin. Taught us all he knew and made us better human beings. My Dad is a great man.

No comments:

Post a Comment