Friday, March 18, 2011

Intelligence, Wisdom, and the Dexterous

I mentioned before that I graduated in the middle of my class grade wise. My two best friends and I made up a group of interesting characters.

Frank was very wise for his age. He went through a lot growing up and was forced into manhood way before his time. He took care of his siblings and his Mom when he should have been playing and enjoying life in a different way. I will always be in awe of how he overcame his childhood "woes" for lack of a better word. He had a way with words and could use them to confound teachers and principles. His wisdom and way with words kept us out of trouble plenty of times.

Dale was a genius. There is no other word to describe it. You could ask him any question and he would know the answer. Not just school work. His intelligence brewed from reading all kinds of materials: comic books, news articles, engineering articles, and whatever else he could get his eyes on. He has great parents that he definitely took after. His Dad is a great engineer and Dale definitely benefited from following his footsteps. His Mom is very caring and intelligent and he had to get her patience and caring to quell his frustrations at our ignorance.

I, on the other hand, brought nothing as cool as wisdom or intelligence. I was nothing more than comic relief I suppose. I had an uncanny way of never falling when tripped and could block most punches thrown at me. There are a few occasions where my flinching got me hit but most of the time no one could land a blow.

I watched and learned from the two of them and tried to aspire to their greatness. From Dale I learned to read and joined a computer course in high school he was in that led to my current occupation of computer scientist.

From Frank, I learned to look around at my surroundings and see things in a better light than what they might show themselves otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment