Monday, March 14, 2011

Surprise! Not!

Most kids try to figure out what presents they are getting for their birthday or Christmas. They will try all kinds of ways to figure it out, shake it, listen to it, peel the paper on the bottom and carefully place it back down so that the tear cannot be seen.

I remember my 8th birthday. My sister was teasing me about knowing what I was getting for my birthday. I asked her what I was getting. She wouldn't tell me but she couldn't keep it from me. She took me to a closet and showed me what all I was getting. There was a watch and an Evel Knievel stunt set with motorcycle, bar, and figure. I think there were some clothes as well. I was real excited and couldn't wait until my birthday.

When my birthday came, my Mom brought out the presents and placed them on the table. She brought out the cake with the candles flaming. I made a verbal wish that I would get a watch and a Evel Knievel stunt set. Before I could blow out the candles my Mom asked me if I had looked at my presents or if anyone showed me where my presents were. I looked at Nikki which was a mistake because Mom knew what happened. She was furious and said if we ever did anything like that again we would not get our presents. After that I never looked at my presents before it was time to open them again.

I actually like being surprised and I was rarely disappointed, if ever. Mom always seemed to know what I wanted. I guess I was like most kids I pointed out what I wanted or played with it in the stores. That Evel Knievel stunt set was very cool. It had a ramp and the figure would ride the motorcycle up it with his hands up hanging onto to a hook that would catch on the overhead bar above the ramp. The motorcycle would go flying and Evel Knievel would loop around the bar from the momentum of the ride. It's the simple things in life that amuse me the most :)

My wife does not like surprises. I'm not used to that. I'm used to trying to figure out what she wants. She will take me and we will get what she wants. She is certainly never disappointed that way :) I can't complain about it. It makes it much easier on me. I did surprise her the other day though. She said she wanted a particular cookbook. I happened to be in Borders which was closing due to bankruptcy and found it. After I walked out, I sent her a text saying that I had a surprise for her. She asked, "Did you get me a cookbook?" You guessed it. I guess I no longer have a surprise for you :) She loved it nevertheless.

Unless you are my wife, do yourself a favor, don't spoil your surprise. Wait for the surprise to be revealed. It's much more enjoyable. Besides, you can't play with it until its time to get it anyway :)

No comments:

Post a Comment