Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mistakes in Anticipation

Are you the kind of person that watches the red lights change so you know when it's time to go? I am. I hate waiting :)

You have to be careful though. You might think the sequence will give you the green light next when actually the green light you see is for left turners only. When I was in driver's education and we were driving the car with the instructor, I was waiting on a red light. It turned green and I took off. The instructor had no time to stop me. My light was green but I was turning left and needed a left turn only light to go safely. Luckily no one was hurt and we made it through the intersection safely.

You definitely do not want to take off fast at a busy intersection. Lots of people run the red light at the last moment so make sure no one is coming before you start moving into the intersection. My wife's sister and her daughter were waiting on a red light at night and when they got their green light they started moving forward. When they got half way through their turn, they were smashed into by a drunk driver. The drunk driver did not stop. They were taken by ambulance to the hospital where her daughter's wrist was hurt but not broke. The police tracked the drunk driver down and found him the next day at his house.

It is better to wait until you see the proper light and not anticipate its coming. Make sure nothing is moving toward the intersection before moving. These tips will keep you safe while navigating any intersection.

No comments:

Post a Comment