Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Sister

My sister, Nikki, and I have always been very close. We traveled with Mom and Dad on Dad's welding jobs. We played with our Dad's welding tools, visited friends together, and played games together. As we grew older, I got into books and solo games such as solitaire and electronic video games.

All my school friends lived too far away. Nikki had a friend, Lori, that lived a short driving distance. We visited a lot either at our house or Lori's. When the visit was at our house, I played with them. We played imaginary games and skated. Lori's Mom and our Mom were good friends. They would paint ceramic pots and other things. They even let us kids paint some. I painted a pink piggy bank and kept it in my room.

When we moved from Princeton, we lost contact with Lori but we missed her a lot. Lori came to see us at Lake Tawakoni, TX and spent the night years later. Her and Nikki stayed together mostly but Lori and I broke away and talked on the back of a truck bed catching up on our lives. It was short lived because it was dark and my sister called us in to go to bed. When she left we never saw her again.

Later in life a very impressive communication device was created and we found each other again. We have found we are very far away from each other. Hopefully one day we will all get together again and play with each other's kids and catch up on our lives. There is no reason friends should ever lose each other. Keep up with your friends, you will need them all of your life and they will need you. You don't want to lose track of a great friend like Lori.

I was never concerned about clothes or how I looked in school. Mom would buy me clothes and I would put them on and play with my friends at school. My sister couldn't take it any longer though and she took matters into her own hands. She forced Mom to buy me cool clothes and I found that I liked them. I think I must have been an embarrassment to Nikki in school :)

As I became a teenager, I wanted more time to myself and that was hard on her because we were always close and she didn't understand why I would want to be alone. I didn't communicate very well either. She would get mad at me and make sure I knew she was still there. Teenage hormones and my stubbornness really got the best of me one day and I blew up at her. After that she stopped but to this day I feel so bad about that. I'm so glad we are still friends because I was so awful to her back then.

After I joined the Air Force and left the house, I missed her terribly. Later in life after I started going to college at East Texas State University in Commerce, TX, I would visit her at her home and eat lunch together.

Today we get to see each other at family functions and our hugs are always the tightest, like we haven't seen each other in years. I'm pretty sure we miss each other equally and it is always great to get to see her. She works for my Mom at her insurance company. They are expanding and Nikki enjoys the work. She has gotten her selling license and does real well for Mom and herself. I am so proud of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment